By Calvin Zito, @HPStorageGuy
In our Bloggers' Lounge at HP Discover, we have a full agenda of coffee talks - a chance for the independent bloggers to get some time with various HP execs and subject matter experts. The first coffee talk that got it started with on Tuesday was with SVP and GM of HP Storage David Scott. David was joined by Alistair Veitch from HP Labs - his team is developed Express Query. David is wearing the dark jacket and tie and that's Alistair sitting on his left with the white shirt.
It was a lively discussion - one of the topics a few of the bloggers wanted to talk about was the word "polymorphic". David has a great intuition for what works and was the guy behind 3PAR using Autonomic - a word that many others are now copying. While this is longer than most of my podcasts, I think every minute of it is a great discussion. Here's my outline of what was discussed:
- 0:00 – 2:18 Converged storage and products introduced
- 2:19 – 2:43 Intro Alistair Veitch, HP Labs
- 2:44 – 3:24 What is StoreAll based on
- 3:28 – 7:23 Polymorphic simplicity explained
- 7:24 – 9:36 All-flash/non-volatile memory design
- 9:37 – 11:09 Tape discussion cryogenic storage
- 11:10 - 12:29 3PAR file services integrated
- 12:32 – 13:43 Vision of converged storage 5 attributes: multi-tenant, autonomic, efficient, federated, polymorphic
- 13:45 – 19:21 Benefits realized for customers with converged storage
- 19:01 – 20:49 Cloud shift from product to services
- 20:50 – 37:40 Express Query discussion
Here's the podcast:
If you rather download this as a podcast, right click here and save the MP3 file. You can also subscribe to my podcast on iTunes - go to the iTunes store and search for "Around the Storage Block" or you can open this link and click on the "View in iTunes" button under my picture.
I've got a collection of pictures from HP Discover Frankfurt on my Flickr page that you can check out. I'll have more content from HP Discover in the coming days.