By Calvin Zito, aka @HPStorageGuy
At the moment, I’m somewhere over Greenland, on my way home from our press and blogger event in Barcelona. It was a delightful time both professionally and personally, though I’m looking forward to being home and sleeping more than just a few hours each night. Maybe it’s the air at 37,000 but I find myself reflecting on the past year and the future of HP Storage and the storage press conference on Wednesday provides the perfect opportunity for me to do that.
It’s been about a year since the industry’s first storage Tech Day (blogger event); I pulled together the agenda that we shared with the bloggers. We talked about how storage would help deliver on our Converged Infrastructure strategy, focusing on three areas:
- Scale-out storage NAS
- Scale-out SAN
Since last October, we’ve done a number of things to improve our hand in those three areas:
- Last November, we began shipping our X9000 scale-out NAS solution based on IBRIX, The X9000 has a massive 16PB single namespace, can non-disruptively scale performance and capacity independently, and has unified management for high-performance file workloads and bulk storage
- At HP Tech Forum in June, we announced HP StoreOnce. This is technology developed by HP Labs, and really is the only architecture for client, in-line and array-based storage data deduplication. It’s 20% faster than competitive solutions and at normal deduplication rates can save 95% on storage capacity costs.
- The P4000 family (formerly HP LeftHand) has had several announcements over the year. It’s a scale-out SAN solution that can non-disruptively scale performance and capacity independently. It has both physical and virtual SAN deployments, and comes complete (meaning you don’t pay extra) with features like replication, thin provisioning, remote replication, and management. Last quarter, the P4000 had triple digit growth.
I had reason to be excited about the future. While there are some things that aren’t moving fast enough for me and there is still more to come, I knew we had a pretty good hand we were playing from.
And along comes 3PAR
The big news in storage over the last few weeks has been the HP acquisition of 3PAR. At the Barcelona event, Dave Donatelli talked about HP’s market position – we are number one or two in every market, including the overall leader in storage. But there’s one “number 3” on the list and that’s external storage. Number 3 isn’t good enough.
According to Dave, 3PAR is a storage product for the next 10 years, a next-generation software architecture. The question that everyone has is where will 3PAR fit. Dave showed a chart that best describes it.
Our competitor’s have a product for the mid-range, another for the high-end, and another for service providers. Instead of having three different products for three different market segments, we have one product that can scale across all three. That will make life easier for customers because they can buy fewer products to across these different workloads.
Dave summarized things by saying that we currently have 11% market share in external storage; with the addition of 3PAR, HP storage just got a whole lot more interesting to the other 89% of the market.
Dave announced that we have a new leader in HP Storage, the former CEO of 3PAR David Scott. I worked for David back in 1999 when he started the XP disk array business at HP. I had a chance to talk to him in Barcelona catching him up on things inside HP and told him “welcome home”. David was a very strong leader at HP and obviously did great things at 3PAR. I think David is a great choice to lead HP StorageWorks going forward.
Over the next several days, I’ll provide an introduction to 3PAR. I have some video from the Barcelona event that I'll hopefully get edited and available to watch soon.
Editor's note: I was over Greenland when I wrote this but didn't have internet access on my flight so didn't post it until I was back home.