By Calvin Zito, @HPStorageGuy
HP has an SMB focused announcement this morning. There are a number of things being announced around our focus of simple IT solutions for SMB. I won't try to cover all of the news here since there really is a lot here and much of it isn't storage focused. There is an hp.com page where you can read about everything being announced today.and Lisa Wolfe who leads our SMB strategy for storage, servers, and networking (now called Enterprise Group at HP) has a blog post that talks more about the announcement.
Updates to the X5000
One of the announcements made was updates to the X5000. The X5000 is a great example of making IT simple and is a product I love to talk about. I have a video from HP Discover in Vienna (from December 2011) that shows a bit more about the X5000. I'll share that with you in just a minute.
Here's what is new with the X5000:
- New X5000 G2 Small Form Factor (SFF) drive chassis with 36 SFF Hard Disk Drive slots
- Three new skus based on the X5000 G2 SFF drive chassis
- 3TB 7.2K MDL SAS HDDs now supported on X5000 G2 Large Form Factor (LFF) drive chassis and externally attached D2600 Disk Arrays
- New X5000 G2 LFF sku with 24TBs of capacity using 8 x 3TB 7.2K MDL SAS HDDs
So obviously our news is focused on new capacity points. With data growing at over 40% a year, this is a good update to the X5000.
Here's the X5000 video I mentioned and also a link to the original blog post where I shared this:
Here's also a link to the X5000 product page that also has loads of great information to help you better understand it.
What others are saying
I noticed there are already a few press articles out there as well. Here are links to those:
- via ChannelWeb.co.UK, HP launches SMB assault
- via StorageReview.com, HP's expanded X5000 storage portfolio targets unstructured SMB data
- via eChannelLine.com,HP announces new mobile offerings for SMB's
- via InfomationWeek.com,HP BYOD approach minimizes data
- via The Register,HP rolls up virty desktop system bundles for SMB