By Calvin Zito, aka @HPStorageGuy
Today I have a few topics I'm going to briefly touch on and thus the name of this article. The topics I'll hit today are:
- HP/Microsoft announcement from last week
- HP Infrastructure Management Technical Webinar series
- A cloud question for you
Topic #1: HP and Microsoft announcement
Last week I talked about the announcement we did with Microsoft - if you didn't see it last week, here is the link: More EMC jibba-jabba: who is really showing application leadership. While there were many articles about our announcement that appeared in the press and from bloggers - and I won't even start to say we broke records - there were a few that I think are worth pointing you too:
- Tony Redmond is a Microsoft MVP and has this very insightful blog article titled First appearance of an Exchange 2010 Messaging Appliance.
- AllThingsD.com has an article titled Microsoft and HP Show Off the Fruits of Their Partnership. Arik Hesseldahl says that the original announcement - of the HP and Microsoft partnership - was full of jibba-jabba (ok, my words, not his) but that this announcement cleared things up.
- cnet has an article HP, Microsoft debut four new business appliances is a good "Joe Friday - just the facts ma'am" article.
Topic #2: HP Infrastructure Management Technical Webinar series
My colleagues on the ProLiant and BladeSystem teams have a series of technical webinars set for the next several months that will focus on the different management tools. Now you might wonder why am I going to highlight that on my storage blog. Well, two reasons - there's obviously a ton of synergy between the management of servers and storage. But more important is that as we continue to converge our storage offering, many of our storage systems are built from a BladeSystem (P4800 BladeSystem SAN) or ProLiant server (X1000, P4000, StoreOnce D2D Backup System, X9000, etc.) and leverage those same tools. We have webinars scheduled for all of 2011, around the end of each month. Some of the topics over the coming months include Insight Control for ProLiant, building a Matrix Operating Environment service catalog, Matrix and storage management, and more. Here is a link where you can register to attend these informative monthly webinars.
Topic #3: A cloud question
I have avoided the topic of cloud on my blog - not that I didn't think it was going to be an important topic but because a lot of the early discussions by some vendors seemed to be blatant "cloud-washing". Using cloud as an adjective (e.g. cloud storage) was the norm for others in 2010 and I just avoided it. Today I was reading a blog by my colleague Judy R titled HP experts provide sunny forecast for cloud computing in 2011, and I wondered what you think. Is this the year that cloud moves from hype to mainstream?
You can either email me (to keep your comments private between us) or leave your comments below. You can find my email address on my Twitter home.