HP Web Jetadmin 10.2 (10.2.58560) has launched. There are a lot of really great new features that have been added with a couple altered or removed all-together. Give yourself some time to absorb the new features and treat this like a major upgrade. While the release notes show the detailed "What's New" information, here are some of the highlights I'm mainly appreciative of:
- Alternate log-in feature allows users to specify a username and password
(helpful for administrators launching the browser outside of their standard desktop environment)
- New device mapping features resurrected from when they were retired with WJA 8.1
- Ability to schedule device resets (e.g. power cycles)
- Print test pages or push PJL configuration files like Send-to-Self to multiple devices
- Fleet configuration of gateway and subnet mask for static IP address assignments
- Vastly superior summary view of firmware with JetDirect and Device firmware broken into seperate easier to view sections
- Histories can be archived to disk now for configuration, discovery, alerts. etc.
- Device groups can be imported and exported now.
- Faster PC-connected discovery by allowing a WMI-only interrogation for customers who have not deployed the HP SNMP Proxy Agent
- Firmware for JetDirect and Devices can be automated with policies like configuration templates now.
- Advanced Storage function for advanced font and macro manipulation including use of templates.
- Official support for SQL Server 2005 and 2008 Standard and Enterprise versions (note that by default it installs with 2005 Express). IMPORTANT: I've not performed this myself, but I have reviewed the section entitled "Using a Separate Instance of Microsoft SQL Server 2005" in the "HP Web Jetadmin 10.2 Installation and Setup Guide" (http://ftp.hp.com/pub/printers/software/wja/docs/h
pwja_installguide_en.pdf). Read the instructions thoroughly. There are references to HP Web Jetadmin Enterprise Edition. Consult your sales representatives if interested so they can follow-up to you with more information once ready for puchase/release.
- Home Screen manipulation on M-series devices now possible.
- Configuration of sleep mode with wake/sleep schedules.
- Configuration of more digital send functions including message options, file settings, etc.
- Dozens of new columns added to the list view for selection and triggering automated groups if desired.
- System name shows as a configurable field when using the "Import From" feature
(this was something someone commented on with regards to one of my earlier posts)
- Pleanty of other goodies added or issues specific customers had which are now resolved.
NOTE: Supplies Groups have been removed in favour of using standard reporting.
It's worth noting that for those customers who have open bug-fix items through support that HP Web Jetadmin 10.1 is being updated to Service Release 3 in parallel as well (10.1.58563). It doesn't contain nearly the ammount of new items that WJA 10.2 has, but for those requiring hot fixes to items not yet ready to migrate, this might be a good option for you. You'll see both options under the "Download Now" link.
All of the documentation (PDFs) have been updated to reflect the new HP Web Jetadmin 10.2 functionality. It may take a couple of days for the download now link to reflect WJA 10.2 correctly, but I assure you after selecting it you will be brought to the correct download locations. Enjoy!
Many thanks to the HP Web Jetadmin product developers, support personnel, technical marketing and enterprise solutions consulting teams for making this release one of the best ever. Regards, B.
UPDATE (9th July, 2009 @ ~1:30 PM): Please note that the installer for HP Web Jetadmin has been taken off the web temporarily while an issue is investigated for people doing upgrades over-top of previous editions where an issue was uncovered in some environments. It will be reposted when resolved we hope in the next week or two. Look back here for updates or the main HP Web Jetadmin portal.
UPDATE (15th July, 2009 @ ~1:30 PM): The HP Web Jetadmin folks have found out what the issue was with the initially released installer. They are re-releasing and you should see it on the web very soon. I'll do a new post/announcement when it comes to update peoples' RSS readers. Please don't use 10.2.58560. This hot-fixed release with the corrected installer will show as version 10.2.59093 which supercedes 10.2.58560. Please use 10.2.59093 moving forward. It should be on the web in a matter of days.
UPDATE (28th July, 2009 @ ~9:00 PM): The 10.2.59093 update mentioned above did indeed post to the web last week. Given the importants, I referenced in this in a new article. Please download from www.hp.com/go/webjetadmin. I would have updated sooner, but I'm fresh back from vacation. Thanks for everyond advising the update had posted while I was away.