Intel recently released new data about the risks of laptop loss and theft cross Europe.
- Across the 275 European private and public sector organisations surveyed around 8% of corporate laptops will be lost or stolen
- 42% of those devices went missing off site
- Just over a third of those devices had encryption, a quarter had backup features and 7% had other anti-theft features
- The total cost of the loss to organisations totalled more than one billion Euros, and 4.7 million Euros to each organisation
- The laptops with the most sensitive data are the most likely to be lost or stolen
Earlier research from Intel found that a single missing laptop cost a business around 35,000 Euros.
It's clearly time for businesses to wake up to the need for encryption and backup on laptops. This is why the latest HP business notebooks come with advanced security features. We'll be looking closely at them during May.