memory upgrade failure (72 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Message 1 of 3 (72 Views)

memory upgrade failure

I put two Kingston 128 Mb SDRAMs in my Presario 5440 which originally only had 64 Mb in one of 3 DIMM slots. Windows only recognizes 64 Mb on the new 128 Mb modules. Is there a limit set somewhere in the BIOS or System.ini? Compaq Support says I should use Compaq memory but I'm not willing to pay 10 times market price for Compaq memory when generic modules have worked just fine on our HP and Dell machines. This has to be a software/firmware issue. Any ideas.
Honored Contributor
Message 2 of 3 (72 Views)

Re: memory upgrade failure

Try moving one of the 128 DIMMs into the first spot and putting the 64 in the last. If that doesn't work, try leaving the 64 out or replacing with a 128.
Honored Contributor
Message 3 of 3 (72 Views)

Re: memory upgrade failure

The system has three slots and supports a maximum of 384MB of memory. You obviously have a memory compatibility option. There are many different types of RAM and you may have gotten the wrong type for your system. Compaq will always say to use their memory. They will only support their memory installed in a system, so if you call them for help, they will not support it and will try to sell you their memory. So you will need to contact Kingston to get memory support.

Kingston does sell memory specific for your machine. Kingston sells the 128MB module for $29.00 and the 64MB for $32.00. That is not a typo; it???s cheaper for the larger modules. This is what you would pay for them in you bought them directly from them. You can find them as cheap as $21 online.

Here is what you are looking for:

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.