I was reading an interesting Forrester article (by Larry Dignan) this morning. Larry shares how technology executives may have finally reached the end of their rope with spending the majority of their IT budgets on simply keeping the lights on. As I read on, this familiar cliché popped into my head. Are the trees (as pretty as they are) obscuring the bigger view or compounding themself into an inevitable breaking point?
At HP we call this phenomenon IT Sprawl. It’s big. It’s nasty. And when you look at the numbers, they simply don’t lie: Somewhere in the neighborhood of 70% of IT dollars are dedicated to merely running these legacy infrastructures – leaving only about 30% for the real important things like bringing out new innovations or new applications that can help generate more revenue and profit for the business. And as Forrester points out, along with most industry experts, infrastructure convergence is the path to flipping this ratio.
What makes this difficult is knowing how to get started. Thus, as you evaluate alternatives (and even vendors for that matter), start by taking a new perspective. It’s too easy to be allured in to the details of singular or piece-part technologies. In a way, it’s our comfort zone. But ‘technology for technology’ sake or ‘bolt-together technologies’ is a dangerous trap. Granted, the underlining technology is critical, but don’t get snagged in the branches. Rather, keep your eye on the forest. And today that forest is infrastructure convergence. It might be scary, but you'll see new IT heros emerge ... and others cast-off.
At HP, we deliver this with our Converged Infrastructure strategy and portfolio. In a way, we took the ‘forest first’ approach ourselves. I think it’s fair to say that HP has a legacy of making great products. But like great trees, it’s the forest that counts. So what did we do? We listened to you, our customers and our partners. We saw and heard about your largest problems. We took this all in, went back to our engineering magicians and applied our know-how to bring out solutions to solve the issues of IT sprawl. What’s really great is that by having an HP Converged Infrastructure foundation (build all at once with Matrix or at your own ‘building block’ pace), new doors of opportunity open – great economics, rapid deployment of new initiatives like Cloud, and investment protection for years to come. And as evident with our latest set of servers, storage, and networking announcements, we don’t ever stop.
Remember, overcoming IT sprawl is all about the forest. Can you see YOUR forest for the trees?
Thanks for listening.