Day 1 Recap of WPC 2012
It is hard to fathom that there are over 16,000 attendees, representing 156 countries, here at the Microsoft Worldwide Partner Conference! Also 4,391 are first time attendees (me being one of them).
WPC Opening Keynote
Today’s keynote was held at the Air Canada Centre and begun with a performance from the amazing Cirque du Soleil. During the keynote, Microsoft announced a number of news items. One of them was that Windows 8 is scheduled to be released to manufacturers at the beginning of August with general availability being at the end of October. The audience gave a big round of applause and cheers. It was also announced that Microsoft is acquiring Perceptive Pixel and we were shown a demo – imagine an 82” screen with touch and drawing capability. This technology can make quite an impact in schools and businesses as well as in TV land! Very cool.
The Air Canada Centre was full! This pic was taken before Cirque Du Soleil came on stage.
I spent some time in the HP Booth today and one of the demos I saw was on HP and Microsoft Unified Communications and Collaboration Solutions. I learned a lot of new things today but the most interesting one was that HP has a phone that works with Lync. Actually, it is more than a phone – it is a solution that can help reduce costs by up to 50%! One of the features is that you can see your calendar right on the phone display. Click here for more info on this solution OR definitely stop by the HP booth if you’re at WPC.
Be sure and check out all of the demos in the HP booth at WPC in the Solution Innovation Center (SIC).
- Joint HP and Microsoft Partners: Get leveraged expertise
- HP Mobility Solutions: See the thin and light ultimate travel companions
- T410 All in One: Power over Ethernet client
- Messaging, Collaboration, Communication solutions from HP: Use only what you need
- HP Technology Services: Learn more about Microsoft Private Cloud and SQL Solutions
- Unified Communications and Collaboration Solutions with Microsoft Lync: An end-to-end validated solution
- Data Warehouse Solutions with SQL Server: Realize rapid deployment
- HP Storage for Microsoft Exchange: Simplify your Exchange deployment
- HP iQuote: Greg Starks will have a session in the Partner Solution Theatre on Tuesday at 3:15 pm and also lead a breakout session (BL48) on Wednesday from 3:30-4:30 pm. This tool will certainly make it easier for Partners to be able to quote quickly and efficiently as well as check inventory and options available.
- Windows Server 2012 on an HP ProLiant MicroServer
- HP VirtualSystem – “Best of Tech Ed” Winner
Also, my colleagues Lucy Ellis of HP and Jane Takeuchi of Microsoft recorded a video that talks about all the booth activities and a WPC Day 1 update for the Coffee Coaching Program. Check it out!
For all WPC information and livestreaming videos, go to: DigitalWPC. I’ll provide another WPC update tomorrow on more things that I’ve observed and learned.
Social Media Program Manager – Enterprise Group