Apple today announced that their Airprint wireless printing for iPad, iPhone, & iPod touch is coming to users in November:
- HP's existing and upcoming ePrint enabled printers will be the only printers to support direct printing from iOS devices at launch.
- ePrint evolved from CloudPrint, an innovative technology created by HP Labs, the company's central research and development group.
- AirPrint automatically finds printers on local networks and can print text, photos and graphics to them wirelessly over Wi-Fi without the need to install drivers or download software.
- iPad, iPhone and iPod touch users will find an embedded print function within apps on their device and will be able to automatically find a printer on their network and print to it without the need to install drivers or download software.
- This news marks the first time a printing company and a mobile device company are embedding direct printing into an operating system for the most simple and seamless wireless print experience.
- The service will be available in November as a free software update with iOS 4.2. iPad, iPhone and iPod touch customers will be able to print wirelessly from select apps – no set up or downloads required. Customers will be able to automatically find a printer on their network and print to it with one touch.
Quote from Vyomesh Joshi, HP executive vice president, Imaging and Printing Group:
"Making it easy for our customers to print anytime, anywhere, is a key priority for HP. iPad, iPhone and iPod touch customers are going to love how easy it is to print using our new range of ePrint printers, creating high-quality printed pages in an instant.”
More on ePrint: