(This entry was posted by Dan Piontkowski, Veteran Staffing Program Manager, HP Enterprise Services)
On September 28th, HP’s commitment to being one of the United States’ top military friendly employers was highlighted at a formal ceremony marking our participation in the U.S. Army’s PaYS (Partnership for America’s Youth Success) recruiting initiative and our official signing of the U.S. Department of Defense’s ESGR (Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve) “Statement of Support,” a register of employment-related commitments to members of the Guard and Reserve.
The event, held at HP’s Herndon, Virginia office, was coordinated by Veterans@HP*, a group comprised of HP’s Veteran Staffing Program and the HP Veteran Employee Resource Network (VERN). Highlights of the event included future U.S. Army soldiers taking the Oath of Enlistment, and inspiring words from attendees Marilyn Crouther, Senior Vice President and General Manager of HP Enterprise Services, U.S. Public Sector; Caroline Atherton, Vice President of HR Global Operations, Americas; Ron White, Deputy Executive Director and Chief of Staff of the U.S. Department of Defense Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve; and Lt. Col. Mike Fife, Commander of the U.S. Army Recruiting Battalion, Baltimore.
The PaYS program is a U.S. Army recruiting initiative designed to attract young people interested in obtaining a quality civilian job after serving in the Army. Through the partnership between HP and the U.S. Army, future soldiers will be able to receive specific job training and skills during their military service. Upon successful completion of their military service, soldiers that have been mentored by HP will be interviewed for careers in their specified field of interest.
Employers signing the ESGR Statement of Support make the following commitments to their employees:
- We fully recognize, honor and enforce the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA).
- Our managers and supervisors will have the tools they need to effectively manage those employees who serve in the Guard and Reserve.
- We appreciate the values, leadership, and unique skills service members bring to the workforce and will encourage opportunities to hire Guardsmen, Reservists and Veterans.
- We will continually recognize and support our country’s service members and their families in peace, in crisis and in war.
Every U.S. President, Governors of all 50 states, leaders of major business and employer associations, Fortune 500 company executives, and hundreds of thousands of employers have demonstrated their commitment to their Guard and Reserve employees by signing a Statement of Support.
- For more information contact Veterans@HP*
* Veterans@HP is currently a pilot program in the U.S. with plans to expand to other countries in the future.