By Judi Cardinal & Kelly Kasher
Join HP Enterprise Services for a Summer Series Twitter Chat on “Is Big Data the Big Daddy of IT Issues?
The first Twitter Chat title Foundational competencies for big data is scheduled for June 19th from 12-1 pm CT. Come join the conversation by using the hashtag #HPESChat.
At HP Discover last week it was clearly evident that BIG DATA is huge topic for IT; therefore we have planned the following topic’s for the summer series:
Foundational competencies for big data: June 19th
Big Data has taken center stage and organizations are very eager to leverage it for their businesses. New technologies are emerging to help companies manage and analyze their big data. While these technologies are important, and organizations will need to develop competencies in them, they should not do this to the detriment of traditional, or foundational, capabilities. It is still critical to have an information strategy in place with business value driving your investment decisions.
Here are some of the questions that will be addressed:
- What is the definition of Big Data and how does “Human Information” factor in?
- What is extreme data?
- Is Big Data a business problem or a business opportunity?
- What are some factors organizations need to consider with this new wave of Big Data?
- What goes into determining the business value of analyzing Big Data?
- How do foundational competencies like master data management, metadata, quality, governance, & integration factor into modern Big Data management? How do they support emerging Big Data capabilities
- How do you approach Big Data strategically vs tactically?
- How do business and IT work together to develop the Big Data Strategy?
- What is the rule with Big Data – Quality or Quantity?
- Once you understand the business value what are the next steps?
- Why should organiztions consider engaging 3rd party service providers to guide them about Big Data management?
Exploring Big Data technologies: July 17th
At the same time, organizations also need to develop competencies in emerging technologies. New technologies exist today that allow organizations to combine structured and unustructured data and analyze data in real time to enrich decision-making and optimize business operations.
- What are these technologies, and why are they important to businesses? We will chat about benefits of big data technologies (such as Hadoop, in-memory data engines, advanced analytical engines, Vertica, Autonomy).
- How these technologies give organizations an opportunity to gain unique insights from new data sources (traditional unstructured data, social, mobile).
The business value of Big Data: August 28th (UPDATED DATE)
Big Data investments have to be rooted in business value. This conversation / chat will be about business use cases of big data:
- What are the business applications for big data?
- How do organizations use it to improve their businesses?
- Why is big data a business opportunity, not a technology problem”
In preparation for the Twitter Chat check out the Storify “Is Big Data the Big Daddy of IT Issues?” We look forward to you joining us for an interactive conversation. See you on June 19th!!