By: Rajesh Dontula, Consultant, HP Applications Services
Ah the Operating Model! It’s a must isn’t it! It establishes the structure to deliver services at a detail level to you, the client. Its heart and soul is dedicated to optimally aligning skills and experience to work activities and providing governance or oversight of a provider’s service delivery.
So why is it that when CIOs or VPs of Applications mention that word - “operating model” - you often times see the staff roll their eyes or hear murmurs like "here we go again".
This is the scenario we’ve heard from some of our clients as well. Our answer? Don’t despair! Before you throw in the towel on trying to implement a truly efficient operating model examine the issues that you are currently facing and then ask yourself and your team the following questions:
- Inconsistent utilization of resources: Are some of your resources overworked, killing themselves while others are figuring out how to kill time?
- Mis-aligned work assignments: Are your highest skilled employees spending significant amounts of their time on mundane tasks, not on the value-add activities that impact the business?
- Undisciplined work flow: How do you handle applications management requests? Do they pour in from all over the place, such as e-mails, phone calls, shoulder taps, Post-it notes and text messages?
- Inefficient workload prioritization: How does the work get assigned - in a simplistic First-in, First-out (FIFO) model or is it based on whoever screams the loudest?
- Low productivity: Do your resources switch tasks repeatedly, moving back and forth between simple and complex applications management services?
- Limited offshoring vs. no offshoring: Are you struggling to figure out which part of your applications management services can be effectively offshored without sacrificing the high quality touch that your customers need/expect?
Your examination of these questions is critical to how your applications management organization can efficiently and effectively function. In my next post, I’ll discuss some of the key aspects of an optimal operating model that addresses many of these issues.
Learn more about HP Applications Management Services