The event wasn’t scheduled to start for another 7 minutes but session attendees were pouring in and the room was rapidly filling up. Why? The topic to be discussed was “the future of HP Blades” and those individuals wanting to hear the latest news about Blades were not to be denied.
While multiple topics were discussed, my major takeaways from this HP Discover session were:
- HP is transforming the server industry with three highly focused initiatives: Project Moonshot, Project Odyssey and Project Voyager
- Blades continues to be the tip of the spear in the convergence movement providing efficiencies from infrastructure to the cloud
- HP ProLiant BladeSystem servers support the latest processors, and a wide variety of I/O options, the innovative Virtual Connect technology, numerous network interconnect alternatives, Integrated Lights Out, multiple redundant features, embedded RAID controllers, and much more.
- On the Virtual Connect front, HP announced the next wave of HP Virtual Connect innovation - the HP BladeSystem with Virtual Connect Direct-Attach Fibre Channel Storage for 3Par. This delivers the industry’s first direct-attach connection to fibre storage that requires nodedicated Fibre Channel switches. In addition to the cost savings and operations/management benefits, the “Why I should care?” points to consider include:
- Single layer fibre channel storage network
- Massive simplification of fabric management
- 2.5x faster fibre channel storage provisioning
- Automated zoning capabilities to set up zones with one-click vs. hours
- Less latency by removing SAN fabric layer
For more news on how HP is making technology work for you, check out the HP Discover Buzz page for news updates, featured blogs and videos. We’ll be adding to it on a regular basis, even after the event has ended, so keep checking back for more info.