Ron Neyland's team has made some vast improvements in how get VMware enbled on ProLiant servers.
Greetings from HP Discover! This week has definitely been a great opportunity to demonstrate to customers the advantages that ProLiant Gen8 offers for hosting VMware. The customer engagement has been great, interest in VMware on ProLiant has been extremely high and we have gotten some excellent feedback.
I wanted to take an opportunity to updated everyone on what we have recently released for Gen8 support.
On Monday (6/4) we released our next round of updates for new Gen8 platforms. Included in this release are:
- New custom images (currently available at hp.com/go/esxidownload)
- Updated drivers and FW
- Updated management components
Customers will need these updates for use with the latest wave of Gen8 servers that have been announced.
One of the big items that I am excited about is some updates to the vibsdepot, http://vibsdepot.hp.com is now your one stop location for finding all of the software needed to run VMware on ProLiant servers. Customers are now able to get full information about which drivers and FW are supported along with downloading everything except the VMware base image from this site. Specifically the changes that we have made to vibsdepot include:
- All HP management components and utilities available for download from vibsdepot – organized by HP release. Updated to be fully compatible with VUM and ImageBuilder.
- All required drivers (NIC, storage…) are now available for download from vibsdepot. These are the same drivers that are included in our custom image.
- A recipe for the correct driver and FW versions for use with VMware on ProLiant has been published on vibsdepot. This aligns with the contents of the SPP and HP custom image. It will be kept current for each SPP release and as hotfixes are released.
- Link to location of the HP custom images
- Link to the server support matrix
- Link to the bill of materials of our custom image
We believe that the changes to this website will make it easier for customer to deploy and update VMware on ProLiant servers. Whether they use the HP custom image or need to download components to create their own images or depot files for AutoDeploy, we have all of the information that customers will need to be successful. We believe that the site is organized in a way that customers can easily find what they need. Please visit this site and let us know what you think!
We continue to work to make things easy for our customers to be successful with VMware on ProLiant. Please remember that Gen8 servers require custom images, and the HP custom image is the easiest route to get going with VMware on ProLiant. This continues to be a regular problem for some of our customers and we need to work hard to get the word out.
Thanks for all you do to make us successful in the VMware space! See all the latest at http://vibsdepot.hp.com/