How often have you wished the world would slow down so you can catch up and perhaps get one step ahead? If your IT environment could talk, that is exactly what it would tell you, too. The speed of business is increasing dramatically and IT is having a hard time keeping up.
The time it takes to carry out data center tasks is slow because of the multiple steps necessary. And the more processes you have, the more chances of human error causing problems. Also, the IT silos you built over time make it even harder for you to deliver services at the speed your users demand.
Attendees at the HP Discover 2012 session, "Increase agility and efficiency by automating your data center leveraging converged infrastructure architectural principles," (BB277) learned that IT processes are way behind the speed of business.
Session attendees were shown a 2010 HP-sponsored survey of IT professionals that found that it takes organizations an average of 4-8 hours to provision storage compared to a desired time of 15 minutes. Further, it takes two weeks to update applications on 2,600 servers compared to a desired time of 20 minutes. Meanwhile, it takes organizations a worrisome two weeks to uncover network vulnerabilities when businesses would liketo be able to accomplish the task in just two minutes.
A converged infrastructure, where server, storage, networking and management hardware and software converge into a single integrated platform would go a long way to simplifying and speeding IT delivery.
Converged infrastructure in action
HP Discover in Las Vegas offered attendees a number of opportunities to hear firsthand how a converged infrastructure can benefit their organizations. If you attended the event but couldn't make the following sessions—or if you were unable to join us June 4-7, you can watch a number of converged infrastructure-focused sessions on demand.
"IT's dealing with a post-Angry Birds workforce."—Stephen DeWitt, Senior Vice President, Enterprise Group Marketing, who moderates the "power of convergence" keynote panel discussion
Keynote panel discussion:
- The power of convergence (47 minutes). In this panel discussion, the Enterprise Group leadership team provides unique insights into today's biggest market drivers and discusses plans to accelerate the pace of convergence between hardware, software and services to help your business achieve new levels of speed and agility. Panel members: Bethany Mayer, SVP and GM, HP Networking; Antonio Neri, SVP and GM, HP Services; Mark Potter, SVP and GM, HP Industry Standard Servers; and David Scott, SVP and GM, HP Storage Division.
- Project Odyssey – redefining your mission-critical experience (45 minutes). Join Martin Fink, SVP and GM of HP’s Business Critical Systems, as he hosts an executive panel of product and services leaders in mission-critical computing.
- Converged storage for the next era of computing (53 minutes). Learn how converged storage can help you optimize your current infrastructure. The session features real-world customer examples, highlights recent product innovations and provides guidance for anyone seeking to get more value from their storage investments.
- Introduction to the next generation HP ProLiant Gen8 servers (51 minutes). You will gain an appreciation for the new features and innovations in the next generation of HP ProLiant servers, and how server lifecycle management just became a whole lot simpler.
- HP Networking storm center: tracking the cloud from data center to user (34 minutes). Learn how HP is shaping the industry, driving networking innovations and providing FlexNetwork architecture solutions that span the data center, campus, branch and extend to the cloud.
Track and breakout sessions:
- 5 big ideas that will change your data center in 2012 and beyond (42 minutes). Rapidly changing business needs, the cloud, Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS), Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) and other forces have been driving IT to think differently. In this session, we unveil new breakthroughs that will transform the five core pillars in any data center
- Building a converged infrastructure strategy for the data center (45 minutes). Adopting fabric-based infrastructures like HP Converged Infrastructure can have significant benefits. This session will show you how to build a strategy and leverage the Converged Infrastructure Maturity Model (CIMM) to create a step-by-step roadmap to transition to a converged infrastructure.
To learn more:
Join the Conversation: