With CIOs under mounting pressure to respond faster to the business—and address IT trends such as cloud, big data and mobility—it's no wonder they want simpler infrastructure. To be successful, CIOs need an infrastructure model based on simplicity and integration, not complexity and siloed operations.
This simpler, more integrated approach is a converged infrastructure, which Forrester Consulting defines as "a pooled and virtualized stack of server, network, and storage integrated with common management that allows operations on these elements to be conducted without impinging on the external data center environment."
Integrated systems such as a converged infrastructure are the future. But don't just take our word for it. Gartner Inc. predicts that by the end of 2015, 35 percent of servers shipped will be part of integrated systems. Meanwhile, 83 percent of the 200 enterprise IT decision-makers surveyed by Forrester Consulting on behalf of HP in late 2011 said they planned to expand, upgrade or implement a converged infrastructure in the next 12 months. 
At HP Discover 2012 in Las Vegas, attendees heard a number of presenters explain how HP Converged Infrastructure solutions can help them reduce data center sprawl, lower costs and increase capacity.
In one breakout session, HP presented data from Forrester, Gartner and IDC to support the business value of a converged infrastructure, including:
- 62 percent of CIOs listed improving IT responsiveness to the business among their top three concerns. 
- IT initiatives focused on ongoing maintenance and operations still outnumber new initiatives 44 percent of the time.
- Companies at higher levels of convergence benefited from lower costs per unit of IT workload. 
Whitman: 'incredibly proud to be in the infrastructure business'
President and CEO Meg Whitman
In her keynote presentation on day two of Discover, President and CEO Meg Whitman focused on Hap's legacy as an infrastructure technology solution provider, saying:
"Our foundation is infrastructure. PC's and printing. Servers, storage, networking. Seventy percent of the revenues of our company come from hardware and infrastructure. We are incredibly proud to be in the infrastructure business.
"Our software optimizes and differentiates our hardware and helps you solve your toughest problems. Our IT Performance Suite is designed to manage a heterogeneous environment of our infrastructure and our competitors', something that customers tell me they really love. We're in the software business to solve your toughest problems.
"To make it all work, we're in the services business, where we address very specific customer problems through innovative uses of technology.
"Here's what the Bank of India achieved by implementing Hap's suite of core banking solutions:
- 234 percent ROI
- 209 percent internal rate of return
- $182 million in cost savings
- break even in less than two years
"For HP to deliver the most value to you, we have to be more than the sum of our parts. We will aggregate our powerful capabilities in hardware, software and services to deliver leading solutions in strategic areas that you've told us are most important to you."
More on HP Converged Infrastructure from Discover
A number of blogs reported on the happenings at Discover, as well as HP Converged Infrastructure news announced there:
- Insights on HP Converged Infrastructure from customers who attended HP Discover (by Duncan Campbell)
- 1 thing to always remember when making your next technology decision(s): HP Discover Net Takeaway (by Russ Parker)
- The essential reflection – Converged Systems buzz from HP Discover (by Phil McLean)
To learn more:
- Make your data center work for you - Jump-start your IT agility in 5 steps, business white paper (PDF, KBPS)
- HP Converged Infrastructure solutions
- HP Converged Cloud
- HP Converged Storage
Join the Conversation:
- Converged Infrastructure blog
- Around the Storage Block blog
- Eye on Blades blog
- Reality Check: Server Insights blog
- Mission Critical Computing blog
- Rethink BI: Business Insights Over Business Intelligence blog
- Servers: Hyperscale Computing blog
1. Forrester Consulting: "Converged Infrastructure – Attitudes and Acceptance," white paper (PDF), sponsored by HP, DCE 2011.
2. GIG Research: "Market Pulse: Accelerating the Business," Linked User Group Survey, May 2012.
3. IDC: "Measuring the Business Value of Converged Infrastructure in the Data Center," white paper (PDF), Sponsored by HP, Cot 2011.