Chris Moyer, CTO and Fellow and John McGuire, Senior VP, Global Sales from HP Enterprise Services addressed two questions in a track session at HP Discover in Frankfurt: Can your IT outpace the market? How to innovate for success? To reinforce their answers, they made market observations and used actual examples of how HP customers used Cloud, Information Optimization, and Security solutions to address situations in their own enterprises.
“The forces at work in the market are not just growing—they’re converging,” said McGuire. This comment laid the foundation for the discussion that followed.
- Observation: By 2020, over 2 trillion devices will connect to the Internet. Data is only worth something if the information can be harnessed and converted into practical facts and figures to reveal deeper insights to drive better business decisions.
- Customer Solution: An online-only retailer created a physical presence during a fashion event, making their digital company come alive in the physical world. They used image recognition software from Autonomy. The software uses a device's video camera to identify an image and then instantly overlays preset video or interactive text, taking the old QR code to a dynamic new level.
- Observation: No two enterprises will have an identical journey to the cloud. When it’s done right, moving to the cloud enhances and improves control, security and visibility.
- Customer Solution: A leading utility company uses a private cloud computing environment that delivers next-generation technology to bring the right computing capacity to meet their needs—with minimum cost and environmental impact. Your cloud, your way.
- Observation: Enterprises see an average of two successful cyber attacks per week and will need between 30 and 60 days to recover, spending at least $500,000 in the process.
- Customer Solution: The Air Force arm of the Ministry of Defense runs missions that used to take five or six hours to plan in a matter of minutes. The Air Force reports greater accuracy, intelligence, flexibility—and security—a key challenge in the public sector .
In the process, I also noted the following HP statistics:
- For the world’s largest and most secure defense network environment, HP supports more than 700,000 employee accounts while running network and security operations that prevent more than 78 million cyber-attacks per month.
- HP has successfully converted tens of millions of airline ticket and passenger records in a system where more than 1,000 applications had over 1,000 changes made across multiple datacenters, command centers and networks.
I recalled how, in her keynote, HP CEO Meg Whitman explained that HP solutions address a new style of IT. This new style is centered on Converged Cloud, Information Optimization and Security. The customer solutions in this session were a testament to these HP solutions. Our customers were successful because they:
- Chose to work with a trusted partner
- Transformed the right way to cloud computing
- Took the right steps to realize the return on information
- Employed an appropriate level of security
How about you? What is your strategy to outpace the market? How have you addressed Information Optimization, Converged Cloud and Security within your enterprise? Please let me know.