It’s that time of the year when we must pay attention, and match the right clothes to the right social gathering. It may be a holiday party at the workplace (semi-formal) or an extended family gathering (casual). Our closet contains a combination of clothing styles that work together to consistently define our personal style. Enterprises are no different. Enterprises need to have the right type of cloud for the right scenario. But it’s not enough to have a choice in the cloud delivery models.
Here are the top five characteristics that ensure that enterprise cloud choices are effectively exercised to realize business outcomes that matter.
1. Commonality. The choices must have a common reference architecture to facilitate meaningful collaboration and agile placement of components. Just as our physical build is the same no matter what we wear.
2. Co-existence. Choices must facilitate the growth of open interfaces that enable the healthy co-existence of the solutions across all environments. Our outfits must look good together, and work with, not against, others at the party.
3. Collaboration. A healthy ecosystem of partners ensures that enterprises can configure a best-of-breed combination for their needs. It helps to have a well-curated list of your preferred retailers, tailors and dry-cleaners.
4. Co-opetition. A mindset of co-opetition (cooperation and competition) must be part of the IT blood stream so CIOs can effectively function as the integrator of service providers. Mutual respect between your clothing providers helps realize an effective combination that delivers on our expectations.
5. Control. Governance mechanisms must be in place to exercise control over the manner in which cloud solutions are deployed. For important events, we never leave the closet without asking someone whose opinion matters to us, “How do I look?”
These characteristics ensure that enterprises can consistently leverage a well-defined set of choices in their environment with confidence. With the above characteristics in mind, and thinking about Choice, Confidence and Consistency:
- Listen to what Bill Veghte, Executive VP, COO, HP, had to say when offered an overview of HP Converged Cloud solutions
- Look at what HP Converged Cloud solutions has to offer
How have you addressed cloud deployment within your enterprise? Do you have a Transformation GPS that serves as your trusted advisor? Please let me know.
I wish I had a wardrobe consultant who would work with me to have the right choices for the right occasions. But that is not to be in my lifetime. Of course, my spouse makes sure that my wardrobe is under control. And then, just as I am about to go to a religious holiday gathering, I get a text from my mother that I should stick to tradition and wear what my grandfather wore on such occasions.
Similarly, enterprises may still want to stick to their traditional environments for some applications in the Converged Cloud. Why? Because they have the choice to do so!