Unknown password after BIOS update (131 Views)
Super Advisor
Message 1 of 2 (131 Views)

Unknown password after BIOS update

Has anyone else come across this problem? I have an Evo N600c notebook and did not set up a power on password or a setup password in the BIOS. Was running BIOS with date of 13/10/01. This morning I downloaded the BIOS update SP21620 (two disk update). I installed the first update (BIOS date 17/10/01) and then entered a setup password. I followed this by installing the final update (BIOS date 13/04/02). When I booted up the laptop, it requested for a power on password. At no time did I set up a power on password. I managed to get in using the setup password (now called Administrator Password), but was unable to clear the power on password as I didn't know it. In the end I had to clear the BIOS to wipe out the passwords. I'm stilll not sure why a power on password was suddenly being requested. Can anyone explain this? Kind Regards, Fei
"Inactive" generic user for pre-merger Compaq forum authors.
Message 2 of 2 (131 Views)

Re: Unknown password after BIOS update

Did you purchase this notebook from Compaq directly or a reseller. If from a reseller, what reseller?
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.