xe3 - DVD/CD-RW not recognized by WinXP (65 Views)
Occasional Contributor
Message 1 of 4 (65 Views)

xe3 - DVD/CD-RW not recognized by WinXP

I just purchased a Omnibook XE3-GF. It came with W2K installed, however, I immediately migrated to WXP. My problem is this: the DVD/CD-RW drive is recognized by Windows as only a generic CD-ROM. I can't find any updated drivers for the drive on the website, and I can't look elsewhere for it, because I don't know the model of the drive, thanks to Windows not recognizing it. Please help! If you could point me to the appropriate driver, or at least let me know the model of the drive so I can find it myself, I would be most appreciative.
Frequent Advisor
Message 2 of 4 (65 Views)

Re: xe3 - DVD/CD-RW not recognized by WinXP

Although XP comes with some very basic burning capabilities, it all comes down to your burning software. If you don't have any, I suggest Roxio. It has the best drive support of any I've tried. Their update site is here: http://www.roxio.com/en/support/roxio_support/software_updates.html if you already have it (it's one of the more populare programs).
Honored Contributor
Message 3 of 4 (65 Views)

There are no separate drivers for optical devices outside of the OS, and XP (and Win2K) should at least read the ROM ID of your drive and install it correctly, and come up with the right type - DVD/CDRW. Try removing the generic drive from Device Manager, restart and then allow XP to redetect.

Other thing to check in Device Manager is the DMA state of the Secondary IDE controller. Try turning DMA on if in PIO mode, or vice versa, turn off.

Did you do an upgrade to XP or a clean install? Upgrade is definitely not recommended especially if burning software was installed in Win2K. If you still have old burning software installed, remove it, try to redetect the drive, and then install an XP version of it.

You will not find device drivers for Windows for any CD/DVD/CDRW provided by drive manufacturers. All state that the OS will detect the drive.

CD Burning software has drive tables (and installs vxd drivers for burning) of recognised drives, and if your drive is not in that table then you normally get an "unknown drive" or "supported drive not found" error message when installing the software. (EasyCD, Nero).

Paul K
Occasional Advisor
Message 4 of 4 (65 Views)

Windows does recognize it but does not name it dvd/cd-rw in the My Computer folder. You can however change the name if you so desire. With windows XP pro or home you'll need version 5 of easy cd ceator by: roxio.com or nero by ahead.de both work with the new OS.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.