Hp5si (86 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Message 1 of 4 (86 Views)

Manager just purchased a Hp5si with a jet direct card internal. No software, no manual. Would like to use it directly on the network without a PC. We use a simple peer to peer network with win98 machines with a couple win2000 to keep it interesting. Printer gives me a config page that appears to have no errors. First question, what should I expect to see when I plug printer into the network(hub)? I'm not seeing the print server from any machine.Do I need to install additional protocols?
Honored Contributor
Message 2 of 4 (86 Views)

Re: Hp5si

Thanks for posting your question.

I have some documentation that will get you pointed in the right direction for setting up your Laserjet 5si on your network. Please take a look at this information:

Each day holds promise, purpose and possibility.
Occasional Visitor
Message 3 of 4 (86 Views)

Rachelle, what application is this doc. referring to? I can get the printer to work, not without problems, by connecting via the parallel port on some machine I use as a print server, and using the HP recommended pcl driver for the 5si. Now here's a wierd part. I had a HP4 connected to this server and it worked very well. I added the HP5 but did not delete the 4 from the printer folder. If I print using the 5 I have problems, like not being able to print multiple copies. If I print using the 4(which is physically removed from the system but not from the Printers folder)everthing prints to the 5 without problems. Will keep playing with the darn thing as time permits (it's everyones default printer). Thanks for the reply.
Valued Contributor
Message 4 of 4 (86 Views)

If you want to do a clean removal of the 4, 1st look for the un-installer and run it. If you do this you'll need to reboot. 2nd go to start / settings / printers. delete the 4. Then select file / server properties. At the driver tab remove the 4. Again you'll need to reboot after doing so. This method will clean up your windows system 32 area and the registry. If you still have issues and your parallel connected you may need to set your p-port on the pc to accept any interupt. THis doc will help with that
Are you using an ieee 1284 complaint cable?
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.