Your enterprise is consuming digital data at an astronomical pace. Virtualization, a powerful technology, can also increase management complexity, eroding its potential benefits. And waiting for things to get “smaller, faster and cheaper” isn’t going to solve your most pressing data center challenges. HP believes your infrastructure must become more intelligent to help you at every step along the way.
More intelligent, self-sufficient servers can virtually manage themselves throughout their lifecycle. Through advanced analytics and automation, a proactive infrastructure can deliver application performance improvements and greater operational efficiency. This means your staff gets back the time they lose to repetitive, routine tasks. Ultimately, you can transform your data center economics.
After two years of development and over 1,000 patents filed, HP ProLiant Gen8 servers are designed to address these needs. With ProLiant Gen8 servers in your data center, your IT team can focus on the work that brings real business value.
Embed video here
With HP ProActive Insight architecture built in to every server, the HP ProLiant Gen8 portfolio brings greater intelligence to data center management. Let’s examine the four ways they help you achieve this objective, freeing up time and resources to focus on innovation.
1. From productivity drain to operational efficiency
Servers, the compute workhorses of data centers, can sometimes be productivity drains instead of enablers. They require extensive setup, tedious troubleshooting and continuous updating. But with HP ProLiant Gen8 servers, you can get back precious staff time, boost productivity and realize faster time to revenue:
- HP Intelligent Provisioning helps you deploy servers three times faster.1
- HP Active Health continuously logs performance and configuration parameters so you can start problem analysis five times faster.2
- HP Smart Update offers unprecedented simplicity, tripling admin productivity during updates and reducing downtime by 93 percent with one click.3
2. From storage bottlenecks to peak performance
Applications are increasingly dependent on storage to run optimally, requiring performance, data protection or a balance of both. HP ProLiant Gen8 servers intelligently optimize themselves to achieve the right mix of speed and availability for any application. This allows you to dynamically accelerate workloads from core to cloud, thanks to these key innovations and characteristics:
- Solid State Optimized and engineered with six times faster storage performance versus previous generations4 while requiring less energy and space.
- HP Smart Data Protection helps you confidently protect data and ensure uptime for continuous business operations.
- HP Smart Data Services understand the best workload placement using workload-aware intelligent caching for real-time application tuning resulting in higher performance and lowering costs.
3. From energy waste to instant savings
To keep pace with your business, your infrastructure requires power, cooling and floor space, which cost money. But you can’t curb these costs without comprehensive visibility into what’s driving them. Most companies overprovision to be safe.
HP ProLiant Gen8 servers help you reclaim resources to meet your application workloads. At the same time, they also reduce error-prone manual checking and documenting of power and rack configurations. They give you a holistic view of resource usage with a “sea of sensors” monitoring every key component, including the rack itself. Armed with this information, you can make smarter decisions that slash your energy bill without sacrificing performance. You can impact your bottom line by driving data center efficiency with these breakthroughs:
- HP Thermal Discovery Services reduce energy usage by 10 percent5 and increase compute capacity.
- HP Location Discovery Services optimize workload placement with servers that self-identify and inventory, reducing 100% manual and error prone inventory tracking.
- HP Power Discovery Services increase system uptime by automatically tracking power configuration and usage and reduce power deployment from hours to minutes.6
4. From reactive to proactive, hassle-free support
All servers occasionally require support—a potential source of frustration and needless delay for IT teams.
HP ProLiant Gen8 servers connect to a cloud-based service and support portal, HP Insight Online. The portal gives customers, HP support personnel and HP authorized channel partners instant insight. This revolutionizes the support experience. Now support personnel can quickly diagnose and repair HP ProLiant Gen8 server issues with unprecedented speed—up to 40 percent faster problem resolution.7
HP Insight Online also enables unique support and services that can help you avoid unplanned outages and streamline operations. This is done by spotting—and fixing—potential trouble areas before they cause problems. In addition to Insight Online, HP ProLiant Gen8 servers offer these beneficial features:
- HP Proactive Support Services take advantage of the onboard intelligence of ProLiant Gen8 servers to improve infrastructure uptime and performance
- HP ServiceONE Advantage provides you with local expertise backed by HP global resources.
Building the infrastructure of the future
With more than 150 smart innovations, HP ProLiant Gen8 servers aren’t just better than the previous generation. They represent a new approach to infrastructure that’s transforming the industry. And they’re ideal for your data center.
If you already rely on HP ProLiant servers, you’ll be instantly familiar with the consistent experience with HP ProLiant Gen8 servers. And now you’ll have the world’s most-intelligent, self-sufficient servers delivering the highest-quality experience to your business. Learn more about HP ProLiant Gen8 servers and the HP ProActive Insight architecture
1In HP internal testing, ProLiant Gen8 is over 3 times faster than G7 SmartStart attended server provisioning.
2Based on HP internal testing to run and send the RPS report vs. Gen8 Active Health.
3Based on HP internal testing with a fully online firmware and system software update with HP SUM 5.0 vs. HP SUM 4.2.
4Based on HP internal testing of the new Smart Array controllers compared to the current generation Smart Array controllers in a RAID 6 configuration.
5 Based on HP internal testing comparing an HP ProLiant Gen8 server to a similarly configured HP ProLiant G6 server.
6Based on HP internal analysis comparing manual documentation of power configuration vs. automatic documentation performed by HP iPDU. In manual operation, equipment and its corresponding outlet location is manually documented on paper or spreadsheet as rack wiring takes place. Power Discovery Services using HP iPDU automatically maps servers to outlets and verifies redundant server power connections.
7HP internal call center data, Q4 2011.