Guest Blog written by Stefan Buchberger: HP Industry-standard Servers & Software
As organizations seek to harness the power of information, the demands for data intensive applications are expanding. For that reason, high-performing, energy-efficient, solid-state storage technology is becoming more mainstream and HP has focused on optimizing the storage subsystem.
The HP ProLiant servers includes an 6G embedded SAS controller with 6X the performance of previous generation controllers that moves from traditional SAS 15k hard drives to SAS SSD which in turn results in to a ~60x performance boost.
As a result of this technology HP ProLiant recently achieved the #1 TPC-C benchmark in the industry. Cache capacity and speed has also doubled in the next generation for faster writes and reads of data, helping improving application performance. With a wide choice of solid state drives from low cost to the lowest latency/highest throughput, HP ProLiant server meet a wide variety of different storage-centric workloads and deliver superior application acceleration to suite you needs.
To support the increased storage performance, HP ProLiant also features balanced system architecture with HP SmartMemory, flexible 10Gb networking and the latest processor technologies. We designed our memory to handle enterprise application workloads by increasing the bandwidth by 25% while offering 50% better capacities and 35%memory uptime improvement using our Advanced Memory Error Detection Technology. Key goal for our memory design was to achieve power efficiency as we increased performance. All this translates to more virtual machines, database acceleration and efficient balanced system resource allocation to handle any workload.
More intelligent, flexible networking helps increase throughput and reduces requirements on CPU performance and network bandwidth while providing investment protection.
These innovations enables to the delivery of real world acceleration for important business applications like:
- Up to 50% increase in transactional throughput for OLTP with dramatic reduction in infrastructure than previous generation (88% less energy consumption and 75% less floor space).
- Virtualization: 30% more Virtual Machines with a reduction of 40% in energy per Virtual Machine.
- Video Streaming: 50% better performance over previous generations.
HP ProLiant Gen8 Servers confidently protect your data and ensure uptime for continuous business operations
Multi-terabyte drives are now common and necessary to keep pace with the increasing data demands. Finding ways to manage and protect that data is more important than ever. HP ProLiant now supports up to 50% more drives per server and the built-in Smart Array controller can support 2x more, or 227 drives in a RAID array. To respond with this massive capacity, HP engineers embedded multiple smart data protection technologies to help you manage and protect your data.
The HP ProLiant drives are smarter and able to predict a drive failure and proactively rebuild from a spare delivering continuous data protection. If, and when, the drive failure occurs, ProLiant systems automatically activate the spare – preventing multi-day outages and data loss.
Advanced Data Mirroring (ADM) is another HP unique technology that increases uptime and improves read performance with three-drive mirroring. If one of your drives were to fail – a high probability in large capacity drives - twin back-up drives limit your exposure while the failed drive is rebuilt. Even if your second drive were to fail during the rebuild, your data is safely stored on a third drive, 1000x safer than 2-drive mirroring or 3-drive RAID 5.
Large drive capacities also mean slower setup of RAID sets. With unique HP algorithms built-in, HP ProLiant servers can initialize a RAID array to protect 95% faster than average servers. For example, one HP client recently upgraded from 1TB to 2TB drives in a 70 drive array. With HP Smart Storage technology, initialization time went from 42 days to 5 hours. Your data is your lifeblood. A power outage, resulting in significant data loss, could be devastating to your business. HP ProLiant Gen8 is helping to minimize potential data loss with green friendly industry leading long-term data retention technologies. The HP ProLiantGen8 Servers now includes unique, lifetime data retention using flash-backed write cache with 2x the capacity versus the previous generation. In the event of a power loss, equipment failure, human error or virus attacks a flash-based approach instantly captures and holds data infinitely. This approach is also more reliable because it eliminates batteries which can fail and cause data loss and flash-based systems only require service every six years versus every two years with batteries.
HP ProLiant Gen8 Servers orchestrated with real time analysis to build the future of converged storage
To dynamically accelerate workloads and protect data, the next generation of HP ProLiant servers includes smart analytics and workload-aware intelligent caching for virtualized and non-virtualized environments. With this capability, HP Smart Storage analyzes different types of workload data and adapts in real-time to optimize system performance and efficiency.
Customers will see a 6x higher performance on RAID6 and 300% increase in RAID 5. This translates to more performance, while maintaining advanced data protection, for video streaming, databases, messaging, virtualization, and so forth…
It will also be the foundation for future smart caching technologies that take advantage of a wide variety of storage media to make intelligent choices to support different types of data and applications and dynamically balance the use of solid state and traditional disk drives for optimized performance.
- Real-time workload-aware analysis to optimize and adapt storage performance
- Intelligent analytics to assist with storage management and data protection
The HP ProLiant Gen8 Servers addresses the #1 performance bottleneck – storage. They radical redesign unifies compute and storage and delivers all-in-one platforms optimized for storage workload demands while protecting critical data. To learn more on how to build an intelligent infrastructure and best redefine your data center economics read Four ways to achieve a self-sufficient infrastructure.
- 6X improved storage performance: testing of the new Smart Array controllers compared to the current generation Smart Array controllers in a RAID 6 configuration; Internal HP Lab testing.
- Compared a G6/7 Smart Array (P411) with 15K SAS hard drives to the Gen8 Smart Array (P420) with 8 SSDs; Internal HP Lab testing.
- #1 TCP-C Benchmark: http://c970058.r58.cf2.rackcdn.com/individual_resu
- Based on the fact that HP is can run un-buffered DIMMs at 1333MHz (HP ONLY) and will be able to run registered 1600MHz DIMMs at 3 DIMMs per channel. Internal HPC application testing shows that we are seeing up to a 20% improvement with these technologies.
- Using 12 to 18 DIMM sockets.
- Based on HP internal testing.
- Comparison benchmark on DL380 G7 server using latest processors, memory and Smart Array controller vs. DL380 Gen8 server using the latest processors, memory and Gen8 Smart Array controllers was performed on SQL using OLTP workload and Video Performance was performed using STREAM application (moving from 4x42u racks to 1x42u Rack) HP Performance Lab testing.
- SPECvirt: DL380G7 to DL380p Gen8.
- 50% more drives per server moving from 16 SFF to 25 SFF DL380p Gen8.
- 108 drives supported on Smart Array P812 controller.
- Probability comparisons made between RAID1 (2 drives) vs. Advanced Data Mirroring (3 drives) of a potential second failure; Internal HP Labs calculation.
- Rapid Parity Initialization of configuring 2TB HDDs in MDS600 (70 drives) as a single RAID5 volume with Smart Array P411 controller vs. Smart Array P421 controller. New Smart Analytics allow new algorithms that start the parity initialization on all drives in parallel vs. serial method previously.
- Moving from 1GB to 2 G Flash-backed write cache.