Have you ever bought a used car? If so, do you ever get the feeling that either the used car salesman or individual you are buying the used car from is hiding something? Wouldn’t it be great if you could simply plug something into a used car to find out what is wrong with it before you made the decision to buy?
It is easy to see that what is wrong with the used car business – a lack of honesty and transparency.
Now compare this to open source software and Linux. The code is freely available – completely transparent – and the community works together openly and honestly to enhance the code. Additionally, the opportunities to change and customize the code are limitless. Sounds ideal, but times are changing.
We are witnessing massive consolidation in the technology industry. What was once open is slowly turning into privatized, proprietary products and services destined to be controlled and not free. The time is coming when the source code is hidden and the ability to develop on it will be controlled by those that own the platform or flow of information.
With the proliferation of platforms and services, we must always keep in mind the vital role open source software and Linux plays in innovation and value creation. We must always fight to keep open source and Linux alive. Let us not allow control of the many to be placed in the hands of the few who seek to profit from our ignorance.
HP is a champion of Linux and open source software. HP’s ProLiant servers, StorageWorks storage, Networking products, and Technology Services are all about creating exceptional value for every dollar spent. From a server perspective ProLiant servers provide:
- Reliable, serviceable, and manageable industry standard servers delivering higher performance and efficiency
- Consistent industry standard innovations in management, power and cooling, connectivity, performance, and design
- A comprehensive server portfolio that uniquely adapts to and fits the need of all customers
- Value-rich storage, networking, service and support products that simplify building, managing and maintaining your infrastructure
- Close collaboration with Linux partners ensuring the server, OS, and layered applications perform their best
I invite you to learn more about how HP’s Instant-On enterprise delivers true value that preserves the independence of the open source software and Linux community.
Follow us on Twitter @HPLinux