New Virtualized HP AppSystems for SAP HANA for greater efficiency, flexibility & faster provisioning
By Doug Janes – HP Product Manager, SAP HANA
Organizations are continually searching for ways to ensure their IT infrastructure is more flexible and cost-effective. They want dynamic architectures that can scale up or down to meet changing demand. Customers want the ability to quickly provision systems to meet the needs of new projects. Cloud architectures – either on premise, outsourced or hybrid – along with virtualization are key enablers for this new computing model. HP, SAP and VMware have been providing cloud-enabled and virtualized solutions for some time now.
Today at SAP SAPPHIRE in Madrid, these solutions are being extended to support SAP HANA.
Beginning in 2013, HP will begin delivering the first Virtualized HP AppSystems for SAP HANA. Based on HP ProLiant servers, including the HP ProLiant DL980 G7 server with one terabyte of RAM, this new technology will provide businesses with a powerful platform that they can use to quickly deploy up to 16 test and development instances of SAP HANA on a single physical server by cloning one of two pre-configured templates. In addition to streamlining the procurement and installation of new SAP HANA systems, clients can achieve significant cost savings compared to purchasing a comparable number of extra-small (128 GB) systems.
The Virtualized HP AppSystems for SAP HANA will also include installation and configuration of the following software products:
- Integrated Lights Out (iLO) software enabling local and remote management of the HP ProLiant DL980 G7 server
- VMware vSphere software for deployment of HANA virtual machines
- VMware vCenter – management software used to monitor and administer the SAP HANA virtual machines; also used to create, customize and deploy the SAP HANA virtual machine templates
- SUSE Enterprise Linux Server (SLES) – guest operating system for the SAP HANA virtual machines
- SAP HANA – temporary license included with base installation to enable immediate use of the SAP HANA system upon receipt; the customer must obtain permanent license keys directly from SAP
HP bundles mission-critical HP Proactive Care services and optional Fast Start onsite implementation services with the Virtualized HP AppSystems for SAP HANA. This speeds time to value and provides the customer with an exceptional level of post-sales support.
The Virtualized HP AppSystems for SAP HANA builds on a series of industry firsts:
- HP is the first partner to deliver a certified result for the new standard application benchmark for the SAP NetWeaver Business Warehouse (BW) application called the enhanced mixed load (EML) benchmark. This benchmark showcases the ability of SAP NetWeaver BW on SAP HANA running on HP AppSystem for SAP HANA, to exceed customer expectations for high-performance analytics with near real-time data sets. It provides customers with an objective way to compare SAP HANA performance to standard database performance and also to compare the performance of different versions of appliances running SAP HANA software.
With an HP AppSystem for SAP HANA (configured with HP ProLiant DL580 G7, 4x Intel x86-E7 CPU’s, 2x 300GB internal SAS drives, 25x 146GB external SAS drives, 512 GB RAM, SAP HANA 1.0 and SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11) HP posted a result of 65,990 ad-hoc navigational steps per hour while simultaneously performing updates of one million records every five minutes on a one billion row database (certification number 2012023). For more information and posted results please go to the SAP benchmark site.
- HP is the only company offering an SAP-certified disaster tolerant (DT) system for SAP HANA. The HP DT system uses HP P6000 Continuous Access to perform synchronous replication of a productive SAP HANA database to a secondary site. In the event of planned or unplanned downtime of the primary system (for instance, due to a power outage), the HP DT system provides a semi-automatic mechanism to quickly return to normal operation with no data loss (refer to SAP service note 1755396 for detailed information – SAP S-user account required for access to the SAP Support Portal)
Detailed information about all of the HP solutions for SAP HANA including the new Virtualized HP AppSystems for SAP HANA is available on the HP website.