I was in a discussion with individuals from the various healthcare industry sub-segments (payer, provider and life-sciences) and the discussion started off with taking some of the megatrends and how they are affecting the industry.
The ones that dominate the healthcare discussion (regardless of country borders) were:
- The aging population
- Chronic illness is becoming more common
- The threat of global pandemics
- The costs of healthcare outpace the GDP
- Shortages of professional providers
There are also some organization specific trends that seem to dictate the agenda:
- Antiquated healthcare systems
- A focus on cost rather than value/quality
It is clear that innovative approaches will be required to overcome the breadth of these trends. Questioning the Status Quo will likely involve new perspectives on mobility (including sensors), analytics and collaboration. There are some interesting activities taking place in the labs that are not quite ready for the light of day, but hopefully they will be soon.
There are other sites discussing healthcare megatrends. Which ones resonate with you?