By Liz Roche
One of the things I’m talking about here at Discover is what’s really keeping CIOs up at night (see my earlier blog “The Top 10 CIO Priorities”). I can tell you that making the right technology selection is just a very small part of the overall sleep problem. The overarching theme is how to “just do it” – how to implement all these important, often game-changing initiatives without bringing the organization to its knees.
Here’s a good example: I was at the MIT Sloan School of Business a few weeks back as HP was sponsoring the MIT CIO Symposium. At the pre-symposium dinner, I was chatting with a CIO from a large, Boston-based insurance company about what his team is working on. He mentioned a few initiatives, and requisite on the list was Cloud, data center transformation, and a few other biggies. He said that his biggest challenge was getting it all done – especially given that he has many of these projects outsourced to different vendors. And what exacerbates this issue is that most vendors won’t admit that you will actually need some mechanism beyond each vendor’s own program management to keep them all aligned and integrated.
Several years ago, I worked with a major auto manufacturer who had hired HP to conceive, implement and run a program management office to keep all the various initiatives aligned. Housed in the office of the CIO, this “advanced integration management domain” laid out an enterprise architecture, governance and other IT processes to manage many of the different major initiatives going on in IT. Using HP consultants who really knew the business, along with a single point of contact for full environment support, and a strong partner eco-system, we helped this company successfully deliver on its most crucial initiatives.
This sounds a lot like our new Datacenter Care service. This important new offering leverages HP’s integrated technology, people, processes and partner ecosystem to deploy, help operate and evolve our customer’s data centers on their journey to Converged Cloud. HP Datacenter Care delivers the maximum business agility, choice and return on investment our customers want from a Converged Cloud environment.
The road to cloud requires organizations to accurately assess their current IT infrastructure, design a path forward, deploy it successfully, and provide for effective ongoing support and management. HP Datacenter Care is different from traditional models. HP uses a personal approach to work with customers to identify exactly what they need, creating a service and support solution as continue the journey towards Converged Cloud. HP Datacenter Care is unique because it helps you:
- Deliver faster, well managed HP CloudSystem deployments through the highly experienced, trained and certified graduates of our CloudSystem Masters Program.
- Migrate from a Blade to a Cloud environment through our HP BladeSystem Conversion Service. HP is the industry’s leading Blade vendor and Blade-based Cloud infrastructure provider giving us unique experience and expertise
- Accommodate on premise bursting; incremental on site infrastructure that you pay for if and when you use it via offers an innovative OPEX-focused model.
Here’s something else: HP has deep experience in helping enterprises, service providers, and governments build, run and manage clouds. For example:
- HP powers over 600 customer private/public clouds with HP CloudSystem, a complete, open and integrated platform for building private, managed and public clouds.
- From a public cloud view, HP powers eight out of 10 of the world’s most trafficked websites, four out of five of the world’s largest search engines, and the three most popular social media properties in the United States.
- HP provides managed cloud services to over 200 Managed Cloud customers.
- Converged Management solutions from HP are used by leading companies to more efficiently build, secure, provision, monitor, access, and manage across heterogeneous physical and virtual environments.
- Of the Financial Times top companies; we have served 100 percent of the largest utilities companies; 86 percent of the life insurance companies; 90 percent of the top aerospace and defense companies; 81 percent of the largest telecommunications companies; 83 percent of the top financial services companies—more than 80 percent of the Fortune 500.
- Currently thousands of registered customers are using HP Cloud Services, HP’s first public cloud offering.
If you’re here at Discover, come visit our Cloud booths and take a look at our demos. We’d love to talk to you about HP Datacenter Care, CIO challenges, or even just the weather. If you’re not, watch for my posts at the Transforming IT blog or follow me on Twitter @lizrathp.
Learn how HP Strategic IT Advisory Services can help your business or agency thrive.
Follow the latest news from HP Discover 2012 at our Buzz page.
Liz Roche is a Strategist with Strategic IT Advisory Services and global leader of portfolio management for HP Technology Consulting. In this role, she is responsible for creating, bringing to market and managing the portfolio of strategic IT advisory services. She is also an industry-recognized customer relationship management (CRM) expert and was instrumental in evolving the CRM category and best practices. A leading authority on IT strategy and business transformation with 25 years of IT and business experience, she is a frequent industry keynote speaker. Roche has been with HP since 2006. Follow her on Twitter at @lizrathp.